Education & Community Engagement
Summer Internship (May-August 2019)
Education interns work directly with the Education & Community Engagement Manager to create, implement, market, and evaluate A2 SO Education programs both in the schools and in the community. This is an unpaid internship.
Education interns will spend 60% of their time in the office:
- Creating and writing supporting educational materials for concerts and programs based on Music Education standards and benchmarks
- Assisting with management and implementation of the symphony’s fourteen education and community engagement programs and initiatives
- Updating and maintaining department data systems (Theatre Manager, Access Database)
- Assist in generating reports and departmental statistics
- Assist in planning and implementation of Education & Community mailings (letters, post cards, brochures)
- Research trends in orchestra education (content determined by staff assignment or interest of intern)
Education interns will spend 40% of their time in the community:
- Assisting with the organization, set up and staffing of community events including but not limited to:
- Instrument petting zoos
- Classroom concerts
- Community chamber concerts
- Students pursuing a degree or having recently completed a degree in Music Education or another field of Music are preferred.
- Graduate students required.
- Have the ability to read music and an interest in music education for people of all ages
- Have excellent writing and communication skills
- Be able to work with children
- Have good organization skills and attention to detail
- Be able to provide their own transportation to the A2 SO offices in downtown Ann Arbor and to events throughout Southeast Michigan
- Be able to work at least 8 hours/week plus be available for events outside of their usual office hours
- Be available for Intern Orientation at the start of the internship