MUSIC DIRECTOR & CONDUCTOR
Looking for conductor jobs? The A²SO is searching for our next Music Director & Conductor to lead our orchestra and bring classical music to audiences all over Southeast Michigan.
About the Ann Arbor Symphony Orchestra
Currently in its 91st season, the Ann Arbor Symphony Orchestra (A2SO) provides 6 mainstage, 3 pops, 5 chamber, and 3 educational concerts between September and May each year. Also, additional educational and community engagement programming in the summer adds to our offerings. A robust array of educational programs are a central component of the A²SO’s mission and impact over 30,000 young music lovers each year.
One of the Midwest’s leading symphony orchestras, the A2SO is critically acclaimed for its innovative programming and deep commitment to artistic excellence. Its musicians are the finest professional performers in the region. They regularly perform in the state’s key orchestras and hold prestigious professorships at leading academic institutions in Southeast Michigan.
The A²SO actively commissions and programs many works by living composers, and regularly engages artists of international acclaim. These include pianists Emanuel Ax, Orion Weiss, and Garrick Ohlsson, cellists Zlatomir Fung and Julie Albers, violinists Rachel Barton Pine and Itamar Zorman. We have collaborated with composers such as William Bolcom, Michael Daugherty, and Evan Chambers.
Radio broadcasts on Detroit’s WRCJ and Lansing’s WKAR take A²SO concerts throughout the lower mitten of Michigan, along with national broadcasts carried on Performance Today and Pipedreams from American Public Media. In 2009, the A²SO produced a major recording of Paul Fetler’s works on the Naxos label praised as “…vital, alive and utterly polished.”
The A²SO is Washtenaw County’s largest arts employer with 71 professional musicians, IATSE stagehands and technicians, and an administrative staff of 8. The A²SO is supported by an active and committed 34-member Board of Directors.
About Ann Arbor
Ann Arbor is located in southeast Michigan’s Lower Peninsula 45 minutes west of Detroit. We enjoy a small-town feel with big-city amenities. It is a creative university town (home of the University of Michigan, Concordia University, Washtenaw Community College, and Eastern Michigan University in neighboring Ypsilanti), and is a hotbed of world-class arts and culture, a culinary hotspot, and a tech hub. This year Ann Arbor was voted one of the best cities to live in America, one of the top cities for older Americans to retire, and in 2018 voted one of the most innovative cities in America.
- Provide artistic vision and musical leadership as principal conductor, artistic director and a community arts leader for a professional resident orchestra with a $1.6M annual budget
- Conduct all rehearsals and performances for at least six (6) subscription concert programs, Pops, Youth, and Family Concerts, and Runouts
- Attract and retain quality musicians, and audition new members as necessary along with orchestra audition panels
- Guide the choice of program repertoire and selection of guest soloists that provide cultural and educational value and engage the community
- Develop long-range artistic plans for the orchestra in conjunction with the Executive Director and Board
- Participate in and support fundraising and community engagement
- Present pre-concert talks before main stage concerts
- Present demonstrations, lectures, and masterclasses in grade school through university with additional presentations for adult learners
- Actively participate in the A²SO’s extensive education and community engagement programs
- Assist in the general promotion of the orchestra by being available for public appearances, and radio and press interviews
- Assist in promotion fof endowment or capital campaigns
- Graduate music degree with 5 or more years of demonstrated experience programming and conducting a professional orchestra
- Proven track record of success in audience development with an expressed commitment to creating and building a diverse community of music lovers
- A demonstrated commitment to innovative and engaging programming tailored to a diverse audience
- Experience in designing and presenting inspiring education programs;
- Comfort level and familiarity with fundraising and donor stewardship in the context of fine arts
- Readiness and ability to serve as the public face of the organization with a strong desire to become an integral part of the community
- Strong interpersonal, leadership and communication skills
- The Music Director reports to the Board of Directors
- Salary commensurate with experience
Application Deadline: November 15, 2019
A2SO is an equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and complies with all applicable Federal, State and local anti-discrimination laws.