LINK UP2018-2019 ELEMENTARY SCHOOL YOUTH CONCERT LINK UP: THE ORCHESTRA MOVES
Join us for our 2019 Elementary aged youth concert
- Ticket Reservations
- Concert Information
- Teacher Resources
- Day of Logistics
- Financial Assistance
- Frequently Asked Questions
LINK UP: THE ORCHESTRA MOVES
10:15 AM concert is sold out! Fill out the form and select 10:15 to be added to the waiting list.
November 1st, 2018: Deadline for reservations to guarantee printed materials
January 18th, 2019: $100 Deposit Due
March 5th, 2019: Final Date to adjust ticket reservation
April 19th, 2019: Final Payment Due
Payments can be made via credit card over the phone by calling the A2SO office at (734) 994-4801 or by mailing a check to 35 Research Dr. Suite 100, Ann Arbor, MI 48103. Deposits are due 2 months prior to the concert on January 18th, 2019.
Reservations with unpaid deposits are subject to cancellation after this date. Final payment is due no later than 1 month after the concert on April 19th, 2019.
Join us for our 2019 Elementary aged youth concert
What does it mean to “MOVE”?
“By any definition, music moves. Melody, rhythm, and harmony all change, shift, and develop. When an orchestra plays for us, we may notice more than one kind of movement. On the outside, we can hear sounds move as the musicians change their pitches, rhythms, and dynamics. We can see the musicians’ bodies move as they play. On the inside, we may feel our emotions moving and changing in response to the music we hear. Sometimes music might even create a sense of physical movement as sounds become heavier or lighter, rise up or tumble down. Through the Link Up repertoire, hands-on activities, and a culminating interactive performance with a professional orchestra, we will discover how the orchestra moves.”
– Carnegie Hall’s Weill Music Institute
RESOURCES & INFORMATION FROM THE A2SO:
- Important Dates & Deadlines
- General Ticket & Parent Ticket Policies
- Teacher Reference Guide & Welcome Packet
- Concert Repertoire (Meet the Composers)
- Coleridge-Taylor, Chaminade & Young Soloists Information (Added Pieces)
- Teacher Workshop Handouts
- Teacher Workshop PowerPoint PDF
- Hill Auditorium Venue Information & Worksheet
- Music Mentor Program Info/Application (application closed after Nov. 1, 2018)
- Peripole Recorder Discount Information
- Harmony Recorder Discount Information
- Link Up Facebook Group
RESOURCES FROM CARNEGIE:
- Teacher & Student Guides (PDF)
- Downloadable & SoundCloud Audio Files (wav & mp3 files)
- Piano Vocal Scores for Recorder Pieces (PDF)
- Visual Scores for Recorder Pieces (note names added in-house for the concert) (PDF)
- Assessment Tools (PDF)
- Webinar Recording of Link Up teaching strategies (PDF)
- Common Core Connections (PDF)
- Introduction to Link Up
- Recorder Basics
- Assessment tool instruction
- “Come to Play” Music Video
- Animated Scores
Click Here to access these resources!
Don’t forget to reserve your buses EARLY! Contact Kira for bus scheduling issues.
Any schools planning to walk or carpool are released first. Schools taking buses are dismissed from the auditorium based on the order the
Experience Downtown Ann Arbor with our “A Day in Ann Arbor” program.
Coming to Ann Arbor for the first time or from far? Make a day of it! We’ve partnered with local community members to bring free and discounted admission to many local attractions!
A2SO BUSSING SUBSIDY:
DEADLINE: November 1, 2018.
The Ann Arbor Symphony Orchestra has limited funding available to subsidize the cost of bussing to the Link Up and Middle School Youth Concerts. Schools traveling further than 20 miles and/or with greater than 20% of students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch will be considered. If you would like to apply for a bussing subsidy, please provide the necessary information on your Youth Concert Ticket Reservation form.
OTHER TRANSPORTATION FUNDING SUPPORT RESOURCES
Target Field Trip Grant (Closed- Deadline October 1, 2018)
Michigan Youth Arts Transportation Grant (Closed- Deadline October 19, 2018)
Donors Choose (Ongoing)
- I have fewer (or more) students than I thought, can I adjust my ticket reservation numbers?
Yes, all reservations can be changed by contacting A2SO staff up until the ticket reservation adjustment deadline which is March 5th, 2019 for Link Up.
- I ended up bringing fewer students than I anticipated to the concert because of illness and other circumstances. Can the amount I owe be adjusted to reflect the actual number brought instead of the reservation number?
No. After the March 5th, 2019 ticket reservation adjustment deadline you will be billed for the number of tickets you reserved regardless of the number of students you brought on the day of the concert.
- Do I need to find and schedule my own buses?
Schools are responsible for arranging their own transportation. Book early as buses are often in high demand in March.
- When should we plan to arrive?
Plan to arrive 30 minutes prior to the start of the concert. There will be a “pre-concert slide show” to keep students entertained during the wait.
- Where should we plan to have our buses drop us off?
Each school will be assigned a drop off and pick up location outside of Hill Auditorium to help with traffic flow. These assignments will be made approximately 2-3 weeks prior to the concert. Buses are not allowed to wait outside Hill Auditorium and instructions will be given on legal waiting areas.
- How does the dismissal process work?
Schools are dismissed first by those walking & carpooling then by the order the bus arrives on the street. To ensure early dismissal please make A2SO staff aware if you are walking or carpooling.
- We are always the last ones to be dismissed, can we be first this year?
We dismiss in the order busses arrive back to Hill Auditorium. To ensure an earlier dismissal, plan to walk from Hill to another pick-up location and let A2SO staff know of your plans.