The Ann Arbor Symphony Orchestra is auditioning for a young soloist to perform at the “Link Up: The Orchestra Moves” youth concert on Tuesday, March 21, 2023 at Hill Auditorium in Ann Arbor.
Brand-new for 2022, the grand prize winner will be awarded $500, with the runner-up receiving $300.
2021 co-winners Abi Middaugh, flute, and Lily Sullivan, violin.
Students in grades 7-12 and who reside in or attend school in the states of Michigan, Ohio, and Indiana during the 2022-2023 school year.
Instruments: strings (violin, viola, cello, string bass, and harp), woodwinds (flute, clarinet, oboe, bassoon, and saxophone), brass (horn, trumpet, trombone, and tuba), and percussion.
- August 1, 2022: Applications begin
- October 24, 2022: Applications due at 5PM EDT
- October 31, 2022: Finalists announced
- December 3, 2022: In-person final round (Location in Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti TBA)
- March 21, 2023: Performance with the A2SO at Hill Auditorium
- Please read through the competition guidelines here.
- Upload the preliminary audition video recording with piano accompaniment to YouTube.
- Fill out the application form.
- Pay a non-refundable application fee of $50 online by credit card. Instruction and a link to the payment page will be provided after the application form is submitted.
Contestants must choose one movement from a concerto or a single-movement work from the standard literature for their instrument. Selection to be performed must be a work available for solo instrument and orchestra.
Winner will perform with the Ann Arbor Symphony Orchestra at the “Link Up: The Orchestra Moves” youth concert on March 21, 2023 at Hill Auditorium in Ann Arbor. Please note that the winner is expected to perform the same piece he/she performed for the final round live auditions.
The Ann Arbor Symphony Orchestra reserves the right to not select a winner if no competitor qualifies.
Transportation and lodging for live audition and performance are the responsibility of the contestant.
The Ann Arbor Symphony Orchestra reserves the right to change or modify the competition guidelines.
Young Artists who are selected as one of the finalists will be notified via email on October 31, 2022. Live auditions will be held on December 3, 2022 in Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti. Winners will be announced at the end of live auditions. All finalists must provide their own accompanist. A professional accompanist may be available for an additional fee. More details will be provided to finalists.